Flickr Geotags and disappointment

So anyway, there was lots of talk about Flickr integrating Geotagging with their photos. Before yesterday, there were several greasemonkey scripts as well as similar mashups with Yahoo and Google maps. (aint providing links, do your own googling).

So anyway, Flickr enables geotagging. Yaay! More things to play with and you can look at other people’s photos from the same location/neighborhood. More Flickr goodness.

So anyway, I fire up Flickr organizr to geotag my photos and New Delhi is actually a triangle with thick yellow lines!




Great! Thank you Flickr for simplifying my world thus. My 50k+ photos which are on Flickr were shot in within the confines of these 3 lines, 13.8 million people live within that triangle and there’s thousands of excellent places for taking photos. So do I dump my 50k photos in one lump around the center of the triangle?

This is it! Enough US centric design already! Goddamit! If the news channels are to be believed all the terrorists are downloading Google maps and secure areas and all kinds of shit and I, a paying Flickr customer cant geotag which street I took the photo from? Are there only 3 roads in Delhi?

Why don’t we have detailed street maps for Indian cities? Why is it that Google ad sense can “sense” I’m from India and show me ICICI home loan ads, but fucking registration forms always start the STATE field with ALABAMA? Fuck Alabama, are you showing the ICICI home loan ad to some guy from Alabama? Obviously not! All the “sensing” goes into selling.

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment